- Never install a moisture cured polyurethane on days where the relative humidity exceeds 75%.
- Always ensure that there is adequate ventilation to allow solvents to disperse.
- If re-coat time exceeds 8-12 hours then sand prior to applying a subsequent coat.
- Apply thin coats as per manufacturers recommendations.
- If installing the matt finish, ensure that there are no breezes, fans etc blowing onto or across the top of the coating before it has dried. This will result in a reduced gloss level.
When humidity levels exceed 75% proceed as follows:
- Leave re-coating until the following day
- Thoroughly sand the 1st coat, then vacuum clean
- Wipe down the 1st coat with xylene and allow a short period to dry
- Wipe excess xylene residue with a clean cloth & proceed with the 2nd coat.
How many coats of Fortis 519 are required?
Generally, only 2 coats are required, however due to the porosity of concrete, sometimes a 3rd coat is needed.
If I want a Satin or Matt finish, do I use the Gloss 1st?
Yes, whenever a Satin or Matt finish is required, the 1st coats are always done with a Gloss. So if you are doing a 3 coat system, then the 1st 2 coats are Gloss and the final coat only is the Satin.
Can Fortis 519 be used on timber?
Yes, Fortis 519 can be used on both concrete and timber.
Can Fortis 519 be used over fibro cement sheeting?
Yes, as long as it is not pre-sealed and has some porosity to it.
Will Fortis 519 stop other coatings underneath from yellowing?
Yes, Fortis 519 is UV stable and also contains UV absorbers.
Can Fortis 519 be tinted?
Yes, Fortis 519 can be tinted using industrial solvent based tinters.
Can more than one coat be applied in a day?
Yes, Fortis 519 can be re-coated within 4-6 hours, weather dependant.
Do you need to sand in-between coats?
If a subsequent coat is applied within 8 hours then no sanding is required.
If I miss the 8 hour re-coat window, what grit sandpaper do I use?
Let dry for a min of 16 hours and then use a 180 grit fine sandpaper.
Is Fortis 519 AV Gas (aviation fuel) resistant?
It is resistant to a degree, however not recommended for this application.